Friday, September 5, 2008

~Iced Caramels Chapter~

Oh to hell with the SAM trials. Honestly, I'm getting no peaceful sleep what with the tension of having to study really really hard for it and the undue pressure coming from my family, relatives and distant people who think they have a right to. Oh sure they try and tell me about the importance of the trials in a nice way but eh? Who can stand any more of those "Oh dearie, these exams are to determine your future! You really must put in more effort! Not that I'm pressuring you or anything, that is." Uh-huh. Don't worry. You aren't. And the moon is square, didja know? Bah humbug to you too.

Anyhow, was going through my photos from good ol' NS and realized, I love the people I met there!! Well, almost all of 'em. I remember one incident in NS very clearly though. Sometimes, when everything that can go wrong does, and I feel like everyone's deserted me, I relive that particular memory, just so I know that I still have people who care for me. That incident happened on the 11th of February, my birthday.

I remember waking up bright and early (literally, at 5.30am) for the new day of activities ahead. I guess I was looking forward to that day since I had witnessed other friends' birthdays before and they were all filled with laughter and merry greetings from various people in camp. Sometimes they'd have those little singing and wishing sessions for the "lucky" person. Boy, was I ever going to find out just how much more LUCKIER I'd be on my day.

So yes, I woke up happy, expecting my close friends to wish me first thing in the morning. I was so wrong in that. For the whoooole day, I got nuff. Yup. Nuff. No wishes, no hugs, no acknowledgements even. I admit to feeling very hurt and confused as to why those I call my "beloved friends" never bothered to remember my birthday. So there I was, putting on a brave face and a bright smile when all I wantedto do was sit around and mope. That ain't happening over in NS though. You don't have enough time for sleep, let alone sulk. Later on, my friends would tell me that I was unusually quiet that day, even though I did my best to cover up my disappointment.

At night, when all the Muslims had to go to the surau for their prayers, we non-Muslims had about 2 hours free to do whatever we wanted to. Some met up with people of the other gender for some quality "bonding" time (oh you get what I mean), some took the opportunity to catch up on lost sleeping hours while some others took the time to chill with other friends in the dorm or around camp. My friends and I always fall under the latter category since it's always the funnest (oh do shut up, there is such a word as far as I'm concerned). On that day however, it was only Pinky, Josh, Siew Choo, Tiru and I who met at our usual meeting spot: in front of the medical room. Mellissa, and Elicia had gone off to "Tesco" (that's what we call the tiny little shop within the camp grounds, it stocks EVERYTHING we might possibly need and more) to buy some stuff. As it is, we met them on the way to the meeting spot and were they laden with loads of crisps! They didn't talk much, just rushed on back to the dorm.

So we all hung out as per normal, minus the two of them, and talked and laughed about the day's events. I was already beginning to forget about my birthday and had decided that it wasn't worth getting all worked up over. Then I realised Josh looked real fidgety and Pinky was laughing unnaturally more than usual. I wondered what was up but soon put the thought out of my mind; more important matters were bugging me, such as, "I'm friggin' thirsty wei!". I wanted to go past the stage to the mess hall for a drink of water but Joshua kept on refusing to let me go there, insisting that I shouldn't see what was going on there. Me, being me, naturally thought it was something horrifying; not once did I suspect something was up. He even offered real nicely to buy me a drink from "Tesco" instead, even though the water in the mess hall was free. So I just followed him since Pinky and Siew Choo were backing him up.

At 8pm sharp, the three of them suddenly started herding me towards the stage area. Then, and then only, did I suspect something amiss. It was all lit up but as we approached, someone turned off the lights and tiny candle lights flared up. As it was, my dearest friends had thrown a small surprise party for me. Shocked and overwhelmed, I did the first thing I knew how to: CRY. Yep. I had one of those sit-down-and-have-a-good-sob moments. But I had to compose myself, oh yes, since I was the person of the moment. I had a good look at my little cake which they had bought and everyone was shaking hands with me, hugging me and generally wishing me a "Happy Birthday" over and over again. Mel and Elicia and many other friends were there too. What got me crying all over again was when they showed me the presents they had got for me. Like, WHAT??!! I get presents too?? I only found out after NS that the whole birthday bash cost about RM100+ and 10 of my bestest buddies had chipped in with the cash. We got round to cutting the cake, I had a good look at my presents and generally enjoyed myself. It was a beautifully glorious end to my birthday and never will I forget the memories my dearest friends have helped me create.

Zihui, Joyous, Stephanie, Elicia,Pinky, Me, Mellissa, Siew Choo, Joshua, Alicia

My presents! Choccies, teddy, necklace (on teddy) & a handmade card........cake was eaten up